Sunday, September 9, 2018

Mat and Tat Days - Part 1


I wanted a somewhat non thinking project.  Karey Solomon's thread and Tat Mats coaster book did the trick.  This was a nice small project that I enjoyed tatting. 

Tat Days 2018

Another Tat Days has come and gone.  It was good to get with friends old and now new.  Learned several new techniques and was able to teach someone how to do split rings who said she almost threw her shuttles against the wall trying to learn on her own.  The smile on her face when I physically showed her is why I like going to Tat Days (whether teaching or sitting with someone to show a technique).   The people at Palmetto Tat Days are very kind, helpful and generous.  I have not been able to attend any other tat days other than Palmetto's so I can not compare.  I can only assume that the tatting community elsewhere are the same.  Many thanks to the volunteers, teachers, tatters and KNOTS (Kind Network of Tatting Supporters) for their support this past weekend.

There was an early get together class on arrival day.  It is a single shuttle leaf (see photo above) with thread bars.  It is amazing how one can not read correctly easy patterns.  My first leave was messed up, so at 10:30pm I decided to retat.  After 3 tries, it was finally finished.  Ok, one long day down (was up at 4:30am to get ready, bed after 11:30pm), two more to go!
 
I volunteer each year to help test tat patterns.  I was given the opportunity to test Erin Holloway Mosely patterns this year.  The tree is call "Flapper Tree".  It unfortunately was not taught this year.  It was a little tricky to get started, but once I got the concept, it went quickly.  The Amulet Bag turned out small.  I will put a handle on it and give to my granddaughter for her dolls.  Same concept as the Flapper Tree.  The "Big Ol' Honkin'" earrings was another nice pattern.  Works up quickly.  Hoping to enter them in this years fair.  There was also an ornament covering.  It has been tatted; however, it is not on my ornament yet.  Now I have to complete so I can post the picture. 

Oh, one can not forget vending.  Tatting Corner was the vendor this year.  I did my shopping of books, threads, and of course shuttles. 

More to follow. . . . .

3 comments:

  1. I love your costar and always nice to help someone make a breakthrough I didn't really get it though my brain that I live very close to palmento tat day till this year but I enjoyed the one in Indiana I will try next year. 🌿🌻🌿

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I look forward to meeting you. I has become a yearly tradition and addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also took Erin Holloways Amulet bag. I was the one that did it needle tatting. I found that it was quite easy doing it needle tatting. Ended being my easiest class. I plan to make it for my daughter that is into dragons. I plan to make it taller so that she can put a tube of Nivea kiss of moisture lip balm in it. I believe it should also fit a lip stick in it too.

    ReplyDelete