Thursday, August 3, 2017

Misc and Adventures in Dye Land

The first photo are two new additions to my library.  Have to wait until later this year to start.  The Tatting a 4 Square Ring has many options.  No diagrams but lots of information for those who like adventure.

The Tatted Quilt Squares was a surprise book from my daughter. 

The four colors of green was done as an adventure.  The far right is from the Tulip Custom Tie Dye kit called "Mint".  There is a booklet that comes with the kit for many custom colors.  A little light for me but a start for future reference when using this kit.  Of course, to start I had to scale down the amount of dye and water.  Also, I noticed there is quite a bit of filler with the Tulip dyes (might be the soda ash).  When using regular fiber reactive dyes with the same amount of dye/water as the Tulip, the color turned out more of a yellow-green instead of a green-blue.

I have been interested in trying to convert Pantone or CMYK colors into colors I can duplicate with the fiber reactive dyes.  I came across a blog called Leigh's Fiber Journal.  She has had adventures in try to come up with dye recipes with computer coding.  She then decided to dabble into CMYK/fiber reactive dyes.  This has been interesting to me from the start.  Well I got to play a little and this is what I came up with.  The color I was trying to duplicate is Pantone 351 Mint.  I think I am pretty close with the second from left (blue holder).  I plan to keep experimenting with another desired color to see if I can duplicate.  Stay tuned for further experiments.

The last photo is a desired color gone experimental.  I had intended this to be more red than greenish, however, I accidently added yellow instead of fuchsia.  The resulting color is interesting.  It is a green but kind of has a slight yellowish background.  Really like this color.  I have make a couple of 50 yard skeins in size 20 that I will be selling at Tat Days. 

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see your projects from your new books!! :)
    Looks like great colors!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a lot of exciting work ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, more things to do than time availability. Isn't life fun.

    ReplyDelete